Sunday, April 14, 2019

Grand Canyon

April 11 - 13
Set up the camper at a nearly empty Mather Campground on the south rim of the Grand Canyon.  Nice pine forest and well spaced camp sites.  Funny thing.  Between 7pm and 10pm the campground filled up.  People arrive late and/or play late before setting up camp.
Cold, cold, cold.  Bundled in my sleeping bag. Covered by my pendleton wool blanket.  I only stuck my nose out to breath in the cold night air.
By 7am in the morning about 1/4 of the campsites were already vacant.  Mostly Early rising hikers.
I walked the rim trail and visited all the museums on the south rim that first day.  12 miles of flat walking.
Second night same as the first.  Then over to the South Kaibab Trail to explore going down into the canyon.  Forecast was for snow in the afternoon, so I limited my hike to 3 miles and 1000 feet each way.  Ended up hiking along with a young woman, Megan, who was about my speed.  We both have been traveling solo for several weeks.  We both tried to get 3 weeks of conversation in.  It was hard talking while going back up the hill at 7200 feet elevation.  Ended up at El Tovar lodge to warm up and have a beer.  Snow came down hard mid-afternoon.  Retreated to the Alaskan to stay warm and read Zane Grey books and Desert Solitare
Third night same again.  Encouraged by reports of other hikers and an upbeat weather forecast I got up at 5:30 am ate two eggs, a banana and a pilot bread cracker.  Walked over to the shuttle stop and caught a ride to the village.  By 6:30 am I was heading down the Bright Angel Trail.  By 9:00 am I was on the Tonto Bench at the Platform viewing site overlooking the Colorado River 1200 feet below.  I spent an hour there.  A bruiser of a grey squirel snuck up while I turned to change my socks.  He stole my bag of almonds even though I was wacking him with my sweaty sock.
The 6 mile, 3000 foot elevation gain return trip to the rim was slower than going down.  Very slow and steady like the tortoise.  Let's just say I made it.  I hobbled back to the shuttle, stopped for a beer & pulled pork sandwich, and hobbled into the campground.  I made dinner of rice and broccoli, then fell asleep by 8pm with the aid of two asprin.
Today finally got internet service in Kanab Utah.  My sixth state of the trip.  Happy Palm Sunday.







No comments:

Post a Comment