Friday, April 5, 2019

A diversion to Lake Asaayi

April 4 - 5:
I went to Magic Laundromat and started two loads.  It struck me as it has at four other places that I was the only non-navaho in the place.  It is funny that it took four businesses to realize that I was the odd man out.  And yet, not.  Everyone has been friendly and courteous as I am, so there it is.  Of course I am avoiding the national chains and in so finding things like green chili stew with posole in a hamburger joint or a hamburger with slabs of Hatch green chilis as the headline choice.
I took the advice of the owner of Toadlena Trading Post and headed to Window Rock, then north towards Crystal.  He thought that it is the most beautiful drive in America.  It is lovely with sandstone inclined on the east side of the road.  At the town of Navaho I headed east.  I had seen some interesting geography on the google earth views.  It was astounding. The road is called Bowl Canyon.  As you drive on this rough dirt road, like Middle Fork Snoqualie road in the old days, the red sandstone mesas open up to surround a lovely pasture land.  Green with the spring.  There were a few small ranch houses in the canyon.
I continued past to Asaayi lake.  A reservoir.  Along the way I came to the real road into this area (i.e. paved).  Then back to a good dirt road and a stream crossing.
The concrete blocks for the crossing had been badly broken up and I was reluctant to cross.  Afraid that there would be a soft spot in the middle.  So, I stopped to listen to the creek and drink a beer.  After about 15 minutes Kyle drove up in a small sedan.  Kyle is a Navajo from Gallup and was hoping to go fishing further up the road.  He definately could not cross with his low clearance.  We talked for about 20 minutes about where I was headed and where he recommended I go.  After much encouragement, he convinced me that if I put my right wheels over the blocks to the right then I would make it through with my high clearance.  I asked that he help me by calling for a tow truck from town if I got stuck.  I lined up the wheels with his recommended adjustments and went for it. No problems except for some slipping on the mud on the far side of the creek.   We waved and set off.  I regret not giving him a beer.
A quarter mile further was the entrance to the campground at Asaayi Lake.  There is an alternate route out that has no creek crossings.  As it is, I am the only one here unless you count a herd of 10 wild horses, two great blue herons, some ducks and some geese and a few other birds.  I walked around the reservoir.  It was about 3.5 miles around.  I checked out the downstream creek and stopped for some creek time.  At the end I forded the inlet in my bare feet to get back to the camper.
It is now 6:45.  The sun has broken thru the clouds.  There is a pleasant but cool breeze and there are small patches of snow in the shade on the north side of the hills across the creek.  I am going to have a simple freeze dried thai curry meal with my gin and tonic.  I want a simple repacking tomorrow because this wonderful diversion will make for a long drive to Sedona on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment