Monday, May 6, 2019

Side trips in May

I had several planned parts of my voyage that got short circuited (if you don't mind the pun).

My plan was to fly to Denver and travel to Gulnare where there is a family cemetery.  The family cemetery has gotten mixed up with one or two other cemeteries in the find-a-grave website.  I planned to photograph the other cemetery headstones and then update the info in find-a-grave.  Then I was to continue to Oberlin Ohio by Southwest Airlines to see Ruby's final recital.

Instead I changed flights (thank you Southwest for allowing rebooking and transfering the fare to another flight) and headed to Phoenix.  I am sad to say that my sister Sara is transitioning to hospice care.  She has been mobile and alert since I arrived on Friday.  Her husband Marc is doing the great and difficult job of caring for her.  My other sister Claudia is also here and we have had the gift of sharing family stories, going out twice for meals and watching SNL.  I am not sure how long I will be here, but it doesn't matter.  It is good to be able to share hugs and support each other.  Sara is a model of grace and courage in these difficult times.

To add to my grief, last week we found out that Assemblies of God Pastor Pierre Ouedaogo was murdered by Ansarul islam a terrorist group in the Sahel.  Nancy and I spent many days with Pierre when we were MCC volunteers in Burkina Faso.

Peace and Love,
Paul


No comments:

Post a Comment